Monday, December 8, 2008

Quotes About Literature


About one's choice of words

"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on."I do, " Alice hastily replied; "at least I mean what I say, that's the same thing, you know.""Not the same thing a bit!" said the Hatter. "Why, you might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see!" Alice in Wonderland.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.""The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things.""The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."Through the Looking Glass.

About children's literature

Good children's literature appeals not only to the child in the adult, but to the adult in the child

About literature in general

It takes a great deal of history to produce a little literature. Ernest Hemingway

Learning why one great book is just like every other great book is the key to understanding literature. John Moschitta

All that non-fiction can do is answer questions. It's fiction's business to ask them. Richard Hughes

No comments: