Monday, December 8, 2008

My Book and Heart Shall Never Part


In all honesty, I am not sure that what we saw on the film was what I was expecting. This is however, not necessarily a bad thing. Where I went in expecting somewhat of a happy go lucky retelling of some choice fairytales, I was presented with a conclusive and informative depiction of children's literature throughout history and through the eyes of a child. Some of the scenes were indeed unexpected and very clever, such as little red riding hood picking up the wolf mask and wearing it herself. I also really enjoyed the grandmother's house made of books. Overall, I found it somewhat ironic that we were all sitting there, learning about children's literature while the movie was telling us that didacticism should not be a goal for children's literature. It was simply amusing to me. Even though it seemed somewhat repetitive from class lectures, the introduction to the material prior to viewing allowed me to focus in on the littlier, more pleasant things in the movie. Excellent work!

No comments: